Effective November 1, 2009
What This Policy Covers
- This policy covers how Long Tail Nation treats personal information that Long Tail Nation collects and receives. Personal information is information about you that is personally identifiable like your name, address, email address, phone number, credit card or other financial information, or other account number, and that is not otherwise publicly available. Personal information also includes demographic information such as date of birth, gender, geographic area and preferences when such information is linked to other personal information that identifies you.
- This policy does not cover how Long Tail Nation treats personal information that it obtains from other sources, such as offline, on other websites, or through email communications. This policy does not apply to the practices of companies that Long Tail Nation does not own or control, or to people that Long Tail Nation does not employ or manage.
Information Collection and Use General
- Long Tail Nation collects personal information when you register and complete your user account with Long Tail Nation, when you use Long Tail Nation products or services, when you visit Long Tail Nation pages or the pages of certain Long Tail Nation partners, and when you enter promotions or sweepstakes. Long Tail Nation may combine information about you that we have with information we obtain from business partners or other companies.
- When you register we ask for information, which may include but is not limited to your name, email address, birth date, gender, ZIP code, state, country, education, degrees earned, occupation, affiliation, industry, and personal interests. When you register with Long Tail Nation and sign in to our services, you are not anonymous to us.
- Long Tail Nation automatically receives and records information from your computer and browser, including your IP address, Long Tail Nation cookie information, software and hardware attributes, and the page you request.
- Long Tail Nation uses information for the following general purposes: fulfill your requests for products and services, customize the advertising and content you see, improve our services, contact you, conduct research, and provide anonymous reporting for internal and external clients.
Use of the Sites by Children
- We do not intend to collect information from children who are under 13 years of age. If you are under 13, you may not register for our service and you should not provide personal information on our site.
- We encourage parents to take an active interest in their children's use of the Internet. If you are a parent and suspect that your child has provided Long Tail Nation with personally identifiable information, please contact us at privacy (at) longtailnation.com.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
- Long Tail Nation is not in the business of renting, selling, or sharing personal information about you with other people or non-affiliated companies except to provide products or services you've requested, when we have your permission, or under the following circumstances:
- We provide the information to trusted partners who work on behalf of or with Long Tail Nation under confidentiality agreements. These companies may use your personal information to help Long Tail Nation communicate with you about offers from Long Tail Nation and our marketing partners. However, these companies do not have any independent right to share this information.
- We may share names and emails of members who join Long Tail Nation as part of a co-branded partnership with Long Tail Nation with that specific partner.
- We share personal information with third-party vendors and contractors who assist us in performing internal functions necessary to operate our business. These functions may include, for example, analyzing data and providing marketing assistance. We require our third party vendors to only use the information for the purpose it was provided. We are not responsible for any additional information you provide directly to third parties, and we encourage you to become familiar with their practices before disclosing information directly to them.
- We may share aggregate demographic information with third parties such as the media, advertisers, and government agencies. This aggregate information is typically in the form of statistics, such as numbers of Long Tail Nation users in a particular age group. Such aggregate information is not traceable back to you as an individual.
- We may share your information to respond to subpoenas, court orders, or legal process, or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims.
- Long Tail Nation displays targeted advertisements based on personal information. Advertisers (including ad serving companies) may assume that people who interact with, view, or click targeted ads meet the targeting criteria.
- Long Tail Nation does not provide any personal information to the advertiser when you interact with or view a targeted ad. However, by interacting with or viewing an ad you are consenting to the possibility that the advertiser will make the assumption that you meet the targeting criteria used to display the ad.
- Long Tail Nation advertisers include financial service providers (such as banks, insurance agents, stock brokers and mortgage lenders) and non-financial companies (such as stores, airlines, and software companies).
- Long Tail Nation may set and access Long Tail Nation cookies on your computer. A cookie is a small bit of information used by the site to track your session. It does not contain any sensitive information. No other web sites can access cookies set by Long Tail Nation, nor can the Long Tail Nation sites access cookies set by other web sites.
Changing Account Information and Preferences
- You can edit your Long Tail Nation Account Information at any time by logging in to the site and entering the Profile area.
- We reserve the right to send you certain communications relating to the Long Tail Nation service, such as service announcements, administrative messages and the Long Tail Nation Newsletter, that are considered part of your Long Tail Nation account, without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them.
Confidentiality and Security
- We limit access to personal information about you to employees who we believe reasonably need to come into contact with that information to provide products or services to you or in order to do their jobs.
- We have physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards that comply with federal regulations to protect personal information about you. We have put into place reasonable security measures in an effort to protect personal information while it is under our control. For example, your account information is accessible online only through the use of a password. To protect the confidentiality of personal information on such sites, you must keep your password confidential and not disclose it to any other person. You are responsible for all uses of our sites by any person using your password. Please contact us immediately if you believe your password has been misused.
- Data you provide to us will be stored on our servers located either in our offices in California, or elsewhere in the United States or abroad. By providing us with your information, you understand and consent to the international transfer of your data.
Links to Other Websites
- Links from sites to third parties or to other sites are provided for your convenience. We encourage you to learn about their privacy and security practices and policies before providing them with personal information.